XlS Export Failed

Hello ,

I am currently trying to export an xls form of the collected data, however I am receiving export failed error, it works with Legacy , but the information is too scattered . And when I try to check the data through the table, some of the data that is found xls (legacy) appear blank in the table .

Hi @terredh,

Welcome to the community! Kindly please be informed that i just made a check on both of our servers (OCHA as well as HHI) and i was able to download the data smoothly from both the servers. Would you mind providing more information with the issue you are facing so that we could have a look at your end.

Have a great day!

Hi @terredh
Kindly confirm the information requested by @Kal_Lam.

Could you also try clearing your browser’s cache and trying out different browsers to see if the issue resolves.

Stephane

1 Like

I created a survey with two language labels , and it was filled . One question that requires the correspondent names , does not show up in the data table or the generated report. The names are only showing up in the excel legacy . I cleared the cache and tried a different browser. the problem is still occurring and I still can not download the non-legacy excel

Hi @terredh,

Would you mind sharing with us your username and the project name (in a private message) so that we could have a closer look at it (and see what’s hindering you).

Have a great day!

Hi @terredh,

Looking at your survey project i finally found out that you have been facing the Export Failed error message while trying to download your dataset in the XLS format as a fact that you made a syntax error within your survey form.

Wanted to share your issue in public rather than through a private message as many of our community users would be aware on why we may sometimes accidentally get an Export Failed error message (while trying to download dataset in the XLS format).

In your xlsform i see the use of begin_repeat being used 2 times and end_repeat being used 2 times which i have marked in red in the image below:

Maybe you could also try this at your end (following the steps provided below):

• Upload this xlsform (which has errors as shown in the image above):
    Export Failed (Issue).xlsx (11.5 KB)
  • Deploy the survey project and start collecting data. You may try it out with just one case.
  • Sync the data with the KoBoToolbox server.
  • Download the data in the XLS format.
  • You will see an Export Failed error message.

To solve this issue just delete one begin_repeat and one end_repeat from your xlsform and it should work smoothly without showing you any Export Failed error message.

Conclusion: So the conclusion is, it’s not the system bug/error that is causing this but it’s the design of your survey project (with syntax error) that is causing this.

Hope it was helpful!

Have a great day!

1 Like

Hie @Kal_Lam

I have had a similar problem of failing to down data in the XLS format. Tried to look for syntax error in the survey form, but i did not find any. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi @Horace1,

Welcome back to the community! Would you mind providing me your username, server and project name in a private message so that i could have a look at it.

Have a great day!

@Kal_Lam,

How do I send a private message?

Hi @Horace1,

You are seeing the Export Failed error message while trying to download the data in xls format because the name you have provided for row 73 and row 102 is same i.e. candidate_information. Kindly please be informed that the name in a survey project should always be unique.

Solution: Change one of them to candidate_information1 and redeploy. It should work.

Have a great day!

1 Like

@Kal_Lam

Thank you very much, let me do it.

Have a great day

1 Like

@Kal_Lam

I corrected all syntax errors in the form. However, the problem still persists. I tried to upload the same survey form as new project, i was able to download the data entered for trial. Now, am confused, I do not know what to do.

Hi @Horace1,

Were you able to download the data that you entered for the trail project without any issue.

Have a great day!

Hi @Kal_Lam

Yes, i was able to download. I just entered a single case.

Hi @Horace1,

This shows that if your form design is clean it should not have any issue. As you had a form design previously you happened to see the download error message. My advise would be try downloading your dataset as:

Here you should be able to download the dataset without any download error-message but there should always be a risk of loosing data that had the conflicting issue that you noticed by yourself.

Have a great day!

Hi @Kal_Lam

Thank you so much. I will update you how it plays out. Once again, you so much.

Have a great day!

1 Like

I am having the same error. I checked the syntax and don’t see any duplicate names or types. I tried a new browser and the error continued. Please help!

Welcome back to the community, @allykrupar5! Would you mind explaining your issue so that the community should be able to help you out?

I actually solved it after I posted. I must have had an error on a previous uploaded form, so when I went to the “Advanced options” and unselected “Include data from all ## versions”. It worked fine then.

3 Likes