Can i make a kobo questionnaire with two view arabic and english?

Dears…
how can i make a kobo questionnaire with two interfaces arabic and english for the different users?

Hello,
To allow better support, could you tell us:

• Are you working with KoBoCollect OR Enketo (Webform)?
  • Do you use XLSForm OR Formbuilder?
  • Do you work with fully separated language versions (i.e. data in AR and data in EN)?
  • Do you want a mixture, like hints for enumerator in EN, but questions and choices in AR?.
  • In which format do you want your data (e.g. text entries) for later analysis.
    always?

Here is a XLSForm template for AR / EN and an example for EN / AR mixture.
AR Template 01.xlsx (14.9 KB)

To preview (and work with) the AR version, you need to set KoBoToolbox (or Android App) in general AND the form to AR language.

You need to provide ALL labels (questions, choices) in EN and AR, and also ALL hints (and guidance_hints). Otherwise you will,have empty items shown. (If you use a mixture you could use a Excel = copy reference for the AR cell See example.)

There are some more details to take care of, like References like ${Name} in EN must be {Name}$ in AR text. And a mixture of right and left-aligned languages is tricky with KoBo (as with other tools too.)

Kind regards

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, i got your meaning… i have a small questions but will reply your questions before.

Are you working with KoBoCollect OR Enketo (Webform)?

• i am using KoBoCollect in collecting data, but using Enketo sometimes to check before deploy.

Do you use XLSForm OR Formbuilder?
i start with Formbuilder, then go to the excel to adjust some mistakes especially for the skip logic.

Do you work with fully separated language versions (i.e. data in AR and data in EN)?
i will collect mainly in arabic, but the english version is to review for the donors or english speakers, so it is a kind of visualization.

• Do you want a mixture, like hints for enumerator in EN, but questions and choices in AR?.
    No, i want to use all the form in arabic and english.

In which format do you want your data (e.g. text entries) for later analysis.
always?
i general, i make the choices in text, but give numbers in the value, so i am using the values in number for the analysis.

My questions:
1- is the formate you sent will collect the data in english and arabic in one sheet in excel or will give me separated sheets for the different languages. i want them all in one sheet.
2- By the example you sent me, can i give the values assigned to the choices numbers for easier analysis? so i extract data by value and be in numbers?

thank you again

Hi
I would like to answer the last two questions you asked. However please note that this is contingent on using the standard approach for adding additional languages on your form as documented here

You will get all the data in one sheet and on the language you choose to use for download. If you select English and you collected your entire data in Arabic, you will still get the English equivalent of the data as long as it was not text entry. Text entry will come in the language it was typed (so you need some external translations).

Use of values as numbers is helpful since this aids the analysis. The value labels can be assigned based on the language you need for presentation.

Stephane

1 Like

Hello @mohammedrezeq,
based on your answers, here is a second version for a template, probably more adapted to your needs, and with reuse of messages for both languages. See remarks in file.
AR Template 03.xlsx (11.9 KB).

It is important to decide in which language you need free text entries (incl. for later analysis), For ex., it is possible to enter EN text with EN aligment in an AR form.

Kind regards

1 Like