Collecting data without a KoBoToolbox account

Hallo
To keep inhibition threshold low the first time
I would like to provide only a link where people can fill out a questionnaire form with GPS, pictures and e-mail information. (No registration, no login)
Is that possible?
After that I would like to invite them to join the kobo project where they can see their visualized data from other contributors.

I only found the sharing option where you can share a link with an already connected member.

Thank you very much.
Daniel

Hi @danibo,

Welcome to the community! Regarding your first issue:

Yes it is possible. For this please go through the support article Collecting Data through Web Forms.

Regarding your second issue:

There are two ways in sharing your KoBoToolbox project with others. The first way is by checking the Share by link and Share data publicly which is situated under the SETTINGS>Sharing>Select share settings. Please note that, Share by link is when you wish to share your survey form with others while Share data publicly is when you wish to share your survey data with others. Please note, for this you will need to login to your KoBoToolbox User Account.

I wouldn’t encourage the second way as this feature includes Projects (legacy) which is being shortly removed by KoBoToolbox in the near future. However, for this please select the Projects (legacy)>Project Name>Project Settings>Turn on (Share project with other users). You will receive a link which you could share with others to share your project information. Please note, for this you will not need to login to your KoBoToolbox User Account.

Hi @Kal_Lam, I understand in legacy there is an option to view data without logging in. Is this option available in this current new version of kobotoolbox?

Hi @eeshatariq,

Yes, it’s still available! For this simply click the Turn on button as shown in the image below and you should receive a link. Copy the link and share it with your colleagues who monitors your data. This link does not require a login.

Have a great day!

2 Likes

Got it, thank you!

1 Like

Sorry to necroing this thread, but the answer here is out of date it seems.
For information the Collecting Data through Web Forms link is dead. I was able to find the content of this page on archive.org, but it’s not useful and does not tell you how to share a form so that users can answer it without having to create an account and log in.

In the share menu, I have activated the Anyone can view this form.
In the data collection part, I have tried every single option (online-offline, online only, web forms, etc.); when you try to open the link in a private tab, Ktb always asks the user to log in.

Is there a way to just give a link to anybody, and they can fill up the form without having to create an account nor login?

1 Like

@paperSheet, thank you for bringing this discussion back again. FYR, here is the updated version of the article Collecting Data through Web Forms.

1 Like

Hello @Kal_Lam, thanks for the updated link.
I’ve read through it but unfortunately it does not describe how to share a web form for anonymous data collection (without needing a Kobotoolbox account).

Is this feature possible?

@paperSheet, did you intend to share the survey question form or the project data with a user who does not have an account in KoboToolbox? The article shared above demonstrates the method for the former one.

@Kal_Lam the questionnaire has been built already, and I intend to share the link to a mailing list so that every users in that mailing can access the web form and answer it without having to create a Kobotoolbox account.

They do not need to access the project data nor the questionnaire configuration pages.
I’ve read the link (Collecting Data through Web Forms — KoboToolbox documentation) you posted, but couldn’t find any mention of the words “account” nor “anonymous”, nor can I find the part that would allow me to send a link to my questionnaire, and have users just enter then submit their data, without having them to create an account first.

Could you please point me in the right direction, because I cannot see the relevant part in that article sorry.

@paperSheet, step 1: copy the link as outlined in this section:

Then paste the link to your mail and share it with your team. Your team should be able to access it.

When I do, I’m greeted with this screen unfortunately:

(This is the login screen with id/password/remember me/submit button)

Are you using another browser to make sure it does not use your existing cookies/localstorage?

@paperSheet, you will need to uncheck the Require authentication to see forms and submit data which is present under the ACCOUNTS SETTINGS as discussed in our previous post:

1 Like