Data missing from the server (from 850 to 841)

Hi, I have a similar problem. We use the humanitarian server and no modifications have been made to the form (same version). Information was uploaded in the field using KoboCollect, all the forms were sent successfully and we had 847 records in total confirmed by reviewing the data table through the browser, I downloaded a copy in Excel and there were 847 records. Three days later I went back to Kobo and there were 841 records, I downloaded the Excel and indeed there were 6 fewer records.
Could you explain what happened? How can this happen? I am concerned that information will be lost.

@Akratos, is it that someone has the access to your account and then s/he deleted it? Could you confirm with your team on this?

The only person who has permissions to delete files is the administrator of the forms and according to him no one else has that permission, he also says that he has not deleted anything. Is it possible that the server will put some submissions on hold before finally approving them? A form that is too long with about 600 items can cause a problem of this type?

@Akratos, did you initially download your data and then confirm that you had 847 submissions? Or, did you simply confirm you had 847 submissions from the Collect android app’s submission counter?

@Kal_Lam All KoCollect forms were uploaded to the platform successfully. There were 847 forms uploaded (I confirmed this by downloading the xls). Days later there were only 841 (also confirmed when downloading xls).

And in between these downloads, there was no one accessing the server? Could you also confirm if anyone else has the login credentials for your user account? This information should be helpful for us to investigate further. In addition, could you also kindly provide us the exact date on when you first downloaded your data to confirm that there were 847 submissions and the second date when you found out that there were only 841 cases?

@Kal_Lam I’ll explain you in more details: There is a form (I suppose you can identify it by the day of the download because I can’t give that detail here) created by the administrator that is implemented in various states of the country.

1. And in between these downloads, there was no one accessing the server? In each of the states of the country, forms can be loaded at any time, so the total number always increases) and only the administrator has permissions to delete information (no one else), in fact I am not the administrator of the form.
  2. Could you also confirm if anyone else has the login credentials for your user account? In theory only the administrator has credentials to access his own account.
  3. Could you also kindly provide us the exact date on when you first downloaded your data to confirm that there were 847 submissions and the second date when you found out that there were only 841 cases? The date of the first download is October 12, 2021 (and there were 850 records, correction) and the date of the second download was October 14, 2021. It is important that you filter the database only for the state "Miranda "(column H, download the xls only with labels).

If you need more information to identify the form please contact me by email.
I need to know how those records were lost.

1 Like

@Akratos, does the admin of this project too know that the data are missing? Could the admin join this conversation (and too confirm the missing data) so that we could request project details from the admin?

@Kal_Lam, the administrator of the form (or project) is aware of the situation and confirmed what I have already expressed here, but he could not explain what happened (only that). Summoning the administrator to this topic implies escalating a problem and for now the loss of information is enough. I just want to know if the logs were lost due to problems with the upload process or due to platform problems.
I have developed projects in Kobo and I know the permissions that each user has, from the administrator or creator of the form to its users and / or guests. So if you can give me information with those details and my account details (which I think are enough for someone who manages a server) it would be great. I repeat that if very necessary I can give you in private the code of the form. I look forward to your further understanding on a sensitive subject.

@Akratos, could you share with us the following through a private message so that we could investigate your issue further?

• Username (admin)
  • Project name
  • Server

Sure @Kal_Lam

1 Like

@Akratos, I don’t see any data variation in the submission counter and the DATA>Table from the overall submissions made so far @Akratos?

Or do you want me to have a look for the data variation for your user account which you say have 850 submissions reached so far?

FYI please be informed that if there were issues the submission counter and the DATA>Table total would have been different. However, if you insist we could also have a look at your account if you think that you have submitted a total of 850 submissions but not have only 841 submissions. Please let us know.

That is why I have explained that the national count always grows, but by state is where the problem lies. You must download the xls corresponding to the dates that I indicated and filter in column H (State) selecting “Miranda”. That way you will see that the total records for that state decreased.

Is there any specific user collecting data for that state? If yes, please feel free to share the user’s username through a private message. It should be helpful for us to investigate your issue.

No @Kal_Lam, there is no specific user collecting data for that state because the form does not have certain validations, any user in another state of the country could indicate state “Miranda” but only certain people are authorized to edit and only the administrator can delete. Users only can view or upload.

Hi @Kal_Lam, any answer about the problem?

We will get back to you soon @Akratos.

Hi @Kal_Lam, any answer about this topic? I need to know what happen with the form.

Thank you for reminding us again. We will get back to you soon.

Hi @Akratos, I apologize for the delay in investigating this. Fortunately all your data is still accounted for. The difference between the exports that you pointed out is due to edits made to submissions between the two dates of the export. The _id values from the first export with Estado value of “Miranda” that are not present in the next export are: 220732710, 221605351, 221289480, 221605352, 221605354, 221600748, 221605357, 221605358. If you look at the submissions with those _id values in the later export you will see that the Estado value has changed due to an edit. You can note that the submissions have been edited since their _uuid values no longer match for the same _id — each edit creates a new _uuid value. For example, in the first export, the _uuid for _id of 220732710 was 7906d4c0-a3dc-47f8-8bab-f3f7732e2c9b and in the second export cbfa860b-90f2-4cbf-9410-922ee65c3a54.

1 Like