From KoBo to Stata (new solution)

Hello KoBo Users,

I have written a little Stata command (“kobo2stata”) that automates the import and labelling of KoBo data into Stata. It’s at an early stage but I’m hoping to eventually submit it to the SSC repository for public use once it’s fully tested and stable…

At this stage, I’m hoping to find a few people who might be interested in playing around with the beta version a little, testing it on their own KoBo data, and providing feedback for improvements…

If you are interested in testing kobo2stata, just leave a message below, and I will share the relevant files via PM. (NB: Stata 14 or 15 required.)

Many thanks and all the best,
Felix

3 Likes

Hi Felix,

Very cool project. I would certainly be interested in playing with this. Have you seen the ietoolkit suite of Stata commands that was released by World Bank DIME analytics? It has a command that accomplishes a similar task (iecodebook)… Essentially, it uses your XLSForm to automatically label and code variables.

Best,

Jonathan

1 Like

Many thanks Jonathan! PM with access details for kobo2stata sent.

Hi,
I have an interest on kobo2stata. Let me have the file.
Best.
Mustapha

Many thanks Mustapha for getting in touch. PM with access details for kobo2stata sent.

Hi
I would definitely be interested in testing this

Regards
Stephane

Many thanks Stephane for getting in touch. PM with access details for kobo2stata sent.

l am interested please can you share the file.

Many thanks Allen for getting in touch. PM with access details for kobo2stata sent.

Very interested! PM me, please?

Kabira

Many thanks Kabira for getting in touch. PM with access details for kobo2stata sent.

1 Like

Hi,

Can you share your program with me, please?

Thank you.

PJ

Many thanks Avralt-Od for getting in touch. PM with access details for kobo2stata sent.

With great thanks to all those who kindly volunteered to test the beta version and have provided valuable suggestions for improvement, I am pleased to report that kobo2stata is now publicly available from the SSC. Please see my full announcement here: https://community.kobotoolbox.org/t/introducing-kobo2stata-new-on-ssc/

All beta testers are encouraged to uninstall the beta version from their Stata by typing “ado uninstall kobo2stata” and then installing the SSC version instead by typing “ssc install kobo2stata” (NB: Stata can get confused by the same command being installed from different locations, so running the uninstall first is important. The temporary server hosting the beta version is now offline. Switching to the SSC version will ensure you are able to easily receive the latest updates for kobo2stata in the future using Stata’s general “adoupdate” function.)

3 Likes

Please I want output into STATA, I need all the file and instruction

You cannot output data from Kobo directly as a Stata file. But you can export your data and form as Excel and then use the kobo2stata command in Stata to automate the import/conversion of those into a labelled Stata format.

To install kobo2stata, type “ssc install kobo2stata” in your Stata’s command window. Once installed, type “help kobo2stata” for detailed explanations on how to use it.

1 Like

Dear FSg,

I am really interest to this, can you please help me to get it done.

Best,

All the information you need is already provided above. Open Stata, then type “ssc install kobo2stata” in your Stata’s command window. Once installed, type “help kobo2stata”.

Hallo FSg could you please send to me the instruction to export KoBo to STATA…?many thank

All the information you need is already provided above. Open Stata, then type “ssc install kobo2stata” in your Stata’s command window. Once installed, type “help kobo2stata”.

2 Likes