How do i link external csv files with my survey questionnaire?

Dear,

I have been looking to do a multiple select by searching from a csv. I have been looking everywhere but couldnt find it. The closest I found was this post. Can someone indicate to me where I could find the right information. I promess to upload the working files ones done :)!

I have a list of 3000 beneficiaries that are organized in about 300 farmer groups and that are located in 13 villages. Everytime a field staff goes to give out a certain training for one of the groups I would need him to indicate 1)which village he is in 2)what group he was at 2)which of the beneficiairies of that group where present.

I would like to store the names of the groups and the beneficiaries into a .csv file because this list will change slightly over time (new groups will be identified and for existing groups some people might leave or add themselves in). Using the .csv form I can easily maintain the list of names up to date and simply upload the updated .csv form for all the different questionnaires I will make.

As the list of beneficairies or groups is very long I will ask first to select the name of the village that where the training is taking place (the names of the villages could be stored in the choices tab while using select_one).
However, from there I would like to find a way to be able to easily select_one the group and select_multiple the beneficiairies from the .csv file.

Hope this is clear

thx a lot

Hi @Sven1,

Welcome to the community! Please see the discussion that has happened earlier. It should solve your issue:

Additionally, you could also have a look at the following support article here.

GOOD DAY!

1 Like

Hi Kal_Lam,

Thanks for your reply.
I have been off duty for a while and am back now. Determined to find a sollution on this problem I have.
I didn`t mention earlier but note that I want to work with KOBO COLLECT as we only have smartphones. Your sollutions only include ENKETO.
I developped a file using select_multiple names that refers to the column names in the csv and I put follwing in appearance: search(‘file’,‘matches’,‘farmergroups’,${groups}) so I can search for all the names of the previously selected farmer group.

It works well on Kobocollect. When I look at the data on the submitted file in the smartphone I see the names of the beneficiaries. However when I send the file to the Kobo server and I download the collected data in xls they are not there.
Can you help me?
Other leads to solve this problem KOBO COLLECT friendly are welcome too!

Thanks a lot,

PS: I wish i could upload the file but as new user I am not allowed to…

Sven

Hi @Sven1,

Welcome back to the community!

Regarding your first query:

Kindly please be informed that you are now able to use both Enketo (web form) as well as the Collect (android app) to collect data for select_one_from_file question type. But please be informed that if you wish to use Collect android app, ODK Collect v1.26.2 should only support this feature (hence would recommend you to use the same for this purpose).

Regarding your second query:

You could use the minimal under the appearance as shown in the image below to solve your issue. For reference, please have a look at the images shown below:

In the survey tab of your xlsform:
Image 1 (survey)

In the choices tab of your xlsform:
Image 2 (choices)

In the settings tab of your xlsform:
Image 3 (settings)

CSV file:

Data collection screen as seen in Enketo:

Reference xlsform:
select_one_from_file.xlsx (12.4 KB)

Reference csv file:
fruits.csv (522 Bytes)

Regarding your third query:

For this kindly please download your dataset as XLS (legacy) version (as shown in the image below):

Have a great day!

2 Likes

Hi Kal_Lam,

This does help a lot already.
Thank you so much for your swift reply!!

I am going to continue disigning the questionnaires and the database I am working on.
Will probably come back later to you :)!

Thanks

2 Likes

i am having 1.25.1 version of kobo, how to update it to 1.26.2, as playstore is showing earlier version, also no update option.

1 Like

Hi @mandar,

Welcome to the community! Would you mind uninstalling the KoBoCollect v1.25.1 that you have from your device and then trying installing the latest version i.e. KoBoCollect v1.27.3 from the play store.

Have a great day!

This is the photo of play store kobo app downloaded on my phone
after reinstalling kobo app from play store, still it’s showing previous version,
i have android 9 on my phone

Hi @mandar,

Maybe the updated version should come to your region within a couple of days. FYI, kindly please be informed that it was just released.

Have a great day!

latest version has installed on my colleague’s mobile who has older android version but still after trying for 3 times, no update on my mobile

Hi @mandar,

Could you please share with us the device and android version you use?

Have a great day!

asus zenphone max pro M1
Andriod version 9

Hi @mandar,

Would you mind waiting for a couple of days and see if your device is able to receive the update.

Have a great day!