KoBo - Tips & Tricks (Power BI, email notifications, listing projects etc.)

hi @eeshatariq,

Please could you share a step by step process for email notification on kf.kobotoolbox.org ?

Sincerely,

Hi @guy.ek,

Welcome to the community! Please have a look here to configure your settings for an email notification as outlined by @bareta in the first post. Also please note that you will require access to MS Flow to use this feature.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Hi Bareta,
I am back to ask questions about this…I am really thiller by it:-)
in this link:
https://kobo.humanitarianresponse.info/assets/{xformid}/submissions/{_id}/edit/?return_url=false
I get the access to edit…what would be the line for “only View”?..I know nothing about these codes:-(

regards

HI @iker.montes
I know @bareta would be able to provide more guidance, however logically speaking, it seems the notification sent is allowing you to edit because hypothetically speaking @your share permissions to yourself" grants you permission to edit. Have you tried working with a user account that has only view permission levels?

Stephane

Hi @stephanealoo, I have done it, and returns:
// 20200503225208
// https://kobo.humanitarianresponse.info/assets/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/submissions/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz/edit/?return_url=false

{
“detail”: “Not found.”
}

Hi @iker.montes
Let me ping one of my colleagues to have a look at it.

Stephane

Hi @guy.ek sorry I just saw this. Hope your query was resolved by Kal_Lam!

1 Like

how can I link data from KOBO to excel Power Query for repeating group? Your assistance on this please.

Hi,
You may want to adapt the workaround explained here

Stephane

1 Like

thanks for the link but am not familiar with power BI is there a document specifically explain how to link kobo to excel power Query for repeating group like this.

hi @stephanealoo

thank you for your response on my concern, I go through the document but still get stack because am not familiar with Power BI, am asking if there is a document or any learning material which explain how to link kobo to excel power query for repeating groups which stand alone

Hi,
Even though this guide (https://im.unhcr.org/kobosupport/#repeating) focuses on power bi, it’s just dealing with the “querry” side of PBI, meaning that it is nearly identical on both platforms.

In powerquery…

• You conect to the datasource
  • Make a duplicate of the newly created query, removing all columns except the repeating group column (list), and the record _id column
  • expand the repeating group column content to new rows
  • now you should have the main query with all columns, and another query with the contents of the repeating group
  • if you close & apply - you get 2 sheets similar to what you would get if you export the data from Kobo in excel.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi - the thing with the “edit” option is that it just redirects you to enketo, where everything is nicely formated… You really don’t want to point the users to a json file with the record data - it’s going to look a bit messy for them.

In power bi, what i do is have a sepparate page where i can look at single records. You can have a filter that enables you to select (force) single records (name, _id, whatever… depending on the form). And use “card” visuals to present the data (set it to “last record” (don’t summerize/count in any way)). This way you have a nice page for searching for/looking up individual records which they can easily export to PDF.

If you have images you can also display them on that page (if relevant to the form).

That’s how I do it usualy! Cheers

1 Like

Would this work for Kobotoolbox.org?

Should be the same!

1 Like

Just a follow up on this discussion, did you ever get this to work on your end based on the instructions provided by other users?

1 Like

Thank you.
Please provide update regularly.

Hello,

Aside from MS Flow/Power Automate, what other tools or apps that we can use for email notifications?

Thank you so much!

Hi,

Are there any manuals or a step by step process that I could use - I want to add not only the ID and submission time but some of the responses from the form itself. Please help. Thank you so much!

Hello All, Looking for a solution to email notifications outside MS Flow. Any suggestions?

It looks like the community forum has the function I’m looking for :smiley: