ODK pull with errors and unable to export

Hi, I’m unable to pull encrypted data using ODK Briefcase 1.11.3 or 1.15.0 (just says ‘Failed’). So I tried 1.17.4 and 1.18.0 and now it says ‘Success with errors’ - and a message to say there are no submissions to download (there definitely are!). So when I export it only goes as far as 98%, and the exported file contains only labels but with no other data. Any advice welcome!

Welcome to the community, @JD22! Did you follow the steps to decrypt your forms as outlined in the support article Encrypting Forms?

Hi, thanks so much for the reply! I did follow it to the letter, and have successfully pulled data previously. Are you able to offer any advice please?

Hi, does anybody have any suggestions? I’m really stuck and can’t access my data so any help gratefully received! @Kal_Lam

@JD22, do you have the public and a private key used while encrypting? Using those same keys should decrypt the data through ODK Briefcase.

@Kal_Lam Yes, I have them saved in the folder I’m trying to export to… do you have any other suggestions please?

Hi, this is another appeal for some assistance with this issue, which I still cannot resolve. @Kal_Lam - do you have any further suggestions please?

@JD22, was it you who encrypted the survey form or someone else who encrypted it for your project?

@Kal_Lam it was a colleague who has since left…

Hi @Kal_Lam - I still can’t access my data. Please could you help, or is anyone else able to please?

@JD22, if your colleague encrypted this form, he should have the public and private keys to decrypt them. You will need to reach out to your colleague who has this key. Please also note that if you don’t have them, it’s not possible to decrypt your data. Maybe you could reach me back if you have them from your colleague. I could then help you out.

1 Like

Hi Kalyan, thanks so much for getting back to me on this. I do indeed have both keys saved in the folder I’m trying to export to, and have also tried it on my ex-colleague’s computer using the folder where she saved the keys also. We have at times managed to successfully export some of the data, which I assume means there is no problem with the keys.

However, the error message I’m now receiving in ODK is that ‘there are no submissions to download’ (though when I look at Kobo I can see there are over 1,500), which then goes on to say ‘success with errors’; then when I export I receive either no file at all, or just the file with headers but no data. So my question is now why ODK isn’t picking up that there are submissions sitting there in the Kobo server? I’ve tried to pull them hundreds of times and this is now the message I’m getting every time.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

@JD22, did you follow all the instructions outlined in the support article Encrypting Forms? Please be informed that encrypting and decrypting is a bit complex, and you may need to be very cautious in following the steps. Missing anyone could result in an error.

@Kal_Lam Yes I followed the instructions precisely. Currently I can’t even pull the forms through to ODK…

@Kal_Lam To add to my previous message, this is the notification I’m getting when I try to pull:

Start pulling form and submissions
Start downloading form
Form downloaded
Start getting form manifest
Got the form manifest
Start getting submission IDs
Error getting batches of instance IDs: Unauthorized
There are no submissions to download
Success with errors

Hi @Kal_Lam are you please able to advise?

@JD22, as a quick check, are you able to encrypt a dummy project data and then decrypt it back again? Maybe if you are able to achieve this with a dummy project, you should also be able to decrypt the project that your colleague encrypted.

Hi @Kal_Lam it seems at the moment that I can’t even pull the data into Briefcase - I’m still getting the message ‘There are no submissions to download’.

I’m wondering if there is anyone else on here who might be able to help? @tinok @jnm

Just to mention that some new submissions have been uploaded to Kobo which aren’t pulling through, which to me suggests that it really is a pull error, rather than there being no data to download…