Unmatched Begin Statement Error

Hey KoBo Support,

I am trying to deploy a form to see what it looks like and then fix. However I cannot do so as I get an “unmatched begin statement: group”.

I think this has to do with the lines of begin group and end group but not sure where or why (I am learning KoBo from another sample form).

Highly appreciate a hand in this (you can find it here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pvc6zt4lua05vrx/AABnn-wVGqE0M3mRPrlUPID_a?dl=0

Alex.

Hi @waxmanalex,

Welcome to the community. Kindly have a look at the following comments on your form:
1- Groups: When you want to make questions as a group you should start with begin_group and end with end_group so you should have an equal number from begin_group and *end_group.
**im**age

2- Select_one: In this type, you should write select_one then space then the list name as it in the choices sheet.

3- Select_multiple: in addition to the same comment on select_one, the name of the choices should not contain spaces.

Kindly find the attached file.Yemen_JENA_KoBo_School_Directors-18.08.2020 - Copy.xlsx (51.3 KB)

let me know if you need any support.
Best,
Yasser

3 Likes

Yasser, hi.

Thanks a million! - the form can now be deployed and/or viewed which is a huge help.

Now I need to clean up how it looks and feels for those who take the survey - for example:

a. While I thought both governorates and districts would appear as a choice, they do as radio buttons but the text is missing despite being the the choices list.
b. There 2 ranking questions regarding degrees of sufficient cleaning materials and severity of repairs needed, to respondents can rank the degree in these categories.

Lovely if you can give your opinion on those.

Thx,

Alex.

1 Like

Hi @waxmanalex,

For this issue

this is because you didn’t put labels to those questions.

You can make it as a matrix

Kindly find attached file Yemen_JENA_KoBo_School_Directors-18.08.2020 - Copy.xlsx (54.5 KB)

Best,
Yasser

3 Likes

Yasser hi.

Thank you so much for your swift assistance.

I appreciate this so much.

If you have time I would like to briefly peak with you on certain elements of KoBo, but regardless of this I am happy you are so helpful within this forum.

Let me know your email and we can be in touch – mine is a[dot]Waxman[at]unicef[dot]org.

Take care.

Alex.

2 Likes

Hello,
“name” is just an internal KoBo item name, never visible to the enumerator (visible is the label in the currently chosen language). So, you might better just use EN for names. (Except you need to have mixed EN_AR names later in Excel export. But you can also get the two language labels.)

2 Likes

Thanks @wroos…learning every day.

1 Like