Missing data when i download my data on KoBoToolbox

Please how do i send you a private message.

This post should help you out with sending a private message:

Please check private message. Thank you!

1 Like

Hello @Kal_Lam, please can I get a feedback from you. I am desperate. Many thanks.

Hello!!! Please can someone respond to me.

Hi @Chigieluv, I’ll have a look at this issue shortly :+1:

1 Like

Alright, Many thanks.

Hi @Chigieluv
Thank you for your patience, we had been looking at your forms before we realized that the issue you are looking at is not actually a problem, but more of a self-alignment of the data to accommodate the form (questionnaire) edit you had done.

To understand the above, I will need to point out the following key points.

• When you create a question and name it, e.g. Q1, the data will all be collected under Q1.

• When you edit the name of Q1 to say Q1edit, all data collected after the change will be located on the column/variable name Q1edit. Note that Q1 will not be deleted since it is holding all the data that had been collected before the change.

• However, since the structure of the data in excel is defined by the most recently deployed form, the structure will have Q1edit appearing first before Q1.

• Since you had collected data in Q1, all the response instances i.e. data rows, collected before the edit to Q1edit, will appear blank on Q1edit and will remain in Q1. You will have to scroll to Q1 which will be on the far right after all other variables that you had.

• In summary, your data (belonging to the Q1 scenario) is still there, it is just moved to the end of the survey.

With the above logic, kindly check your data once again and you should be good to go.

Regards,
Stephane

4 Likes

Alright. Thank you so much.

1 Like

Hi @stephanealoo
I am facing a similar issue, attaching a screenshot. But is there anyway we can fix this issue, because it is really inconvenient to see so many blank rows (Q1Edit) for the previous entries.

Also please note we haven’t filled any new eateries after the Edit, so is there anyway we can go back to the previous version to avoid all the confusion?

Thanks and Regards,
Anushka

Hello @anushkashah,
You might

• Clone the previous version, from show project history view.
  • Then download this as xlsform.
  • Test it with Online validator.
  • Then import this xlsform to the original project and deploy it.

But be aware that the xlsform columns order may change automatically and you might also loose things like empty and comment lines.
So, it might be preferable to reset the changes manually in your (updated) xlsform.

1 Like

@stephanealoo
Is it possible to export data (moved to the right one) in the original structure? I had created SPSS template and excel template for analysis. since my data is moved to the right, I cannot fit the exported data to the template.
Thanks

@amritshakya, sorry did not understand your issue. Could you explain it again maybe in a simple way?

@Kal_Lam am using Kobo to collect data from remote areas. Usually, I export the data and do analysis on SPSS and Excel. I had created an entry sheet in SPSS and a template in excel so that I can just update the data in SPSS and excel and do further analysis.
Now, my problem is, I edited the question in deployed form and when I export the data from the new version, the data of edited fields show in the right column in the raw data (moved to right). when I update the data in SPSS, the template and the fields do not match.
Hope I was able to make it clear

1 Like

Thank you @amritshakya! Much clear now. Could you share us a screenshot marking your issue? Maybe that would also help us visualize your issue pictorially?

red highlighted is the extra fields

So were they added lately to the survey?

no. actually this field was already there. I just edited some text in the field and redeployed. The data was shifted to the right in the updated version

@amritshakya, could you share with me the following through a private message?

• Username
  • Project name
  • Server

Hello , I would like to reopen this question to see if there’s maybe an alternative way to replace info from questions, let’s say, “Q1” to “Q1edit” without doing it manually, submission per submission. I’m thinking of something like loading a database where I previously unified both questions through excel or stata. We’ve got already have 200 submitted questionnaires from rural schools and we need to codify questions in a different way, but doing that and then manually replace every question whose name we edited is just massive work. Help please !