Error receiving responses to "label" field in table-list appearance

We have deployed an online survey including questions in table-list format. To program the appearance I used “label”/“list-nolabel” appearance. Looking at the first set of responses we received answers to the field with appearance “label”. This should not be possible and has never happened before.
We are conducting online data collection.
What could be the reason behind this and how can I prevent it from repeating?
How can I make sure that the responses to this field are irrelevant?

Hi @alinesemaan1,

Welcome to the community! Kindly please be informed that if you are using the list-nolabel under the appearance then you will only see radios and no answers. And this is applied for both Enketo as well as KoBoCollect android app.

If you are looking for something else please let us know.

Have a great day!

Hey,
Thanks for the quick response.
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. What I meant is that after exporting the data (filled surveys), I’m seeing responses in the field that shows the answer labels i.e. in the “note_set2” field from the below screenshot.
error
I’ve used this appearance many times before and this is the first time this happens.!

Hi @alinesemaan1,

Would you mind sharing us your xlsform (only with this particular question) so that we could have a closer look at your issue.

Have a great day!

Hello,

Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5frm0ec6b2rfv6/xls_toshare.xlsx?dl=0

Thanks,

Hi @alinesemaan1,

Would you like to share us the dummy of your survey design on how you would like to have your survey form.

Have a great day!

Hey,
I dont have a problem with the survey form. It’s with the data that we are getting. the variable “note_set2” should be empty but we are getting responses somehow. Can you please explain how could this be possible?
Thanks,

Hi @alinesemaan1,

OK this is because you may not have grouped and properly used field-list, label and list-nolabel. Use them properly and you should be able to solve your issue.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Hi @alinesemaan1

There is definitely a problem based on what Kal has established. This note question will appear as a select and not as a note as the text you had put in the label.

Unfortunately since it seems you have already collected data using the form, you need to adjust your data management and use with that in mind.

Stephane

1 Like

Hi @alinesemaan1,

Please design your survey form as shown in the image below to overcome the issue you are facing.

In the survey tab of the xlsform:

Image 1

In the choices tab of the xlsform:

Image 2

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo:

Reference xlsform:
list-nolabel.xlsx (12.3 KB)

Have a great day!

Dear @Kal_Lam ,
I would like to propose to add this to the help center documentation, please, with some real examples. As far as I could see there is nothing yet concerning list-nolabel usage (except extended matrix),
Also, the XLSForm Docs seems not correct (as it also works for Enketo, together with pages setting):

Entire group of questions appear on one screen (for mobile clients only).

But the doc shows the usage for webpages: XLSForm Docs

And a question, please: What is the difference between field-list and table-list appearance? (See Reference and Template and XLSForm Docs)

An easier way to achieve the same appearance as above, apply this attribute to the entire group of questions (might slow down the form a bit).

Might be like this?
| type | name | label | appearance |
| begin_group | tablelist1 | Table | table-list |
| select_one yes_no | options1a | Q1 |
| select_one yes_no | options1b | Q2 |

2 Likes

Thank you, @wroos, for bringing this to our attention! I will update this to our help center soon.

2 Likes