How to calculate a weighted score (a simple composite index) while collecting data with KoBoToolbox?

how do i grade each question when building a survey questionnaire using kobo tool box?

Hi @bamaiyi,

Would you mind explaining your issue with an example if possible so that we better understand your situation and respond to you with an appropriate response if it’s doable in KoBoToolbox.

Have a great day!

Yes Sir,
what I mean is how can I attach a score to a question on kobotoolbox? for example when carrying a food security assessment or vulnerability assessment,

a farmer whose crop production can last for 4month in a year is not as vulnerable as a farmer whose crop production last only 2 months although each of them are vulnerable.

how can i attache a score/grade/weigh the response to such questions (with say 5 for the less vulnerable and 10 for most vulnerable)?

I hope my example is as clear as possible?

Thank you

Hi @bamaiyi,

Could you provide us with a sample of 5 questions and a score that you wish to have for that question if it satisfies a condition. Having the same we could help you create one through KoBoToolbox.

The sample question could be as follows:

Q1. How long does the agriculture product last as food for the family. (if <1 month score=1; if >=1 month and <6 months score=2 and so on)
Q2. …
Q3. …
Q4. …
Q5. …

Have a great day!

Hi @Kal_Lam,

Thank you for your willingness to support and help. Here are some examples in addition to the one earlier shared.

1. Household size ( If <5 score=0; if >5 and <10 score = 1; if >=11 score=2)
  2. Number of Livestock (if <5 score=2; if >=6 score=1)
  3. Farm size (if <2 score= 2 ; if >=2 score=0)
  4. Daily Household income (if <$2 score=2; if >=$3 and <$5 score=1; if >=$5 score=0)

Hi @bamaiyi,

You could do this following the instructions outlined below:

In the survey tab of your xlsform:

Data entry screen as seen in Enketo:

Reference xlsform:
Weighted Score Sample.xlsx (10.2 KB)

Have a great day!

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I will give it a try and feed you back. Thanks again

2 Likes