Dynamic choice label with choice_filter - Update problem in Enketo (KoBo)

Description

A dynamic choice label is not always updated with Enketo. The update is not done/showing if combined with a choice_filter.

Steps to Reproduce

Dynamic Choice Label 02.xlsx (26.1 KB)

1. Upload XLSForm and Preview (or deploy, do online data entry and submission)
  2. Select 2 choices in 1st question, including Other (specify)
  3. Enter text for Other (specify) and leave field
  4. Review added text in 1st choice list (Ok)
  5. Review and select 2nd question now: Other … label is NOT updated there.
  6. Validate - no change.

Only when you go back to the 1st question and deselect/select something, the update for the 2nd choice list is activating. (It’s also activating when you save or submit the case.)

The 1st select_multiple question selects 1 … n needs of the household. If Other is included, a free text is entered and added to the “Other” label. The 2nd select_one question selects one of the previous choices, and should show the enhanced Other label (if relevant).

Expected behavior

2nd choice list should get updated. See Collect. A choice_filter should not change behaviour.

Actual behavior

2nd choice list is NOT updated.

Additional details

If you remove the choice_filter for the 2nd question, the choice label update is activated there.

We tested it with XLSForm Online and KoBoToolbox Preview and WebForm (11/02/2021).

If we you use Collect (ODK 1.29.4) it’s working well. (Here with autocomplete appearance)

1 Like

@wroos, thank you for documenting this here. I could too replicate the issue. I even tried using pages under the style settings and that too did not work. Yes, and it worked smoothly in Collect android app i.e. in both KoBoCollect android app as well as ODK Collect android app.

Any thoughts on this @martijnr? Should i create a GitHub issue for this?

Hello @Kal_Lam ,
I am facing the same issue : the dynamic choice labels work fine, but not when combined with a choice_filter. I tried (i) on the online version and the replacement was not made (I still see other - ${xxxx} in the option choices), and (ii) on the KoboCollect app but it’s making the app crash. Is there any way around this?
Thank you

Welcome to the community, @emma.k! Could you share with us a screenshot of your issue so that we could have a closer look at it?

Hello @Kal_Lam,
Any news on this meanwhile?

@wroos, please feel free to create a GitHub issue. Thank you in advance.

Hello @Kal_Lam , thanks a lot ! Here is what I see :

The dynamic choice label works fine, but not when the choice_filter is added.

Hello @Kal_Lam, I hope this message finds you well. Any news on this issue?
Thank you in advance

@emma.k, maybe you could use the Collect android app until the fix is made in Enketo.

@Kal_Lam thanks a lot, we will consider using this alternative.

1 Like

Dear @Kal_Lam,
Any news on this, please? Do we have a github entry?